Essex Reimagined is County Executive Johnny Olszewski’s multi-departmental, place-based revitalization initiative in the Essex community. In 2021, Olszewski announced plans to develop Baltimore County’s first place-based initiative to:
- Support the Essex community’s recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, while also
- Combat long-standing historical challenges, including public safety, code enforcement and access to recreational spaces
- Combat other social and economic disparities
The Olszewski administration is actively leveraging over $3 million in federal American Rescue Plan funds to support this ongoing initiative which, to date, has included efforts such as:
- Commercial revitalization efforts—Initiated through the Chesapeake Gateway Chamber of Commerce, with a focus on the Eastern Boulevard commercial corridor
- High-quality trash cart distribution program—Introducing a pilot program for residential trash pickup to improve quality of life for residents and expand vermin abatement efforts
- Youth violence intervention—Launching a pilot partnership with Roca Baltimore to expand these efforts into Baltimore County, beginning with the Essex community
- Food programs—Supporting the Community Assistance Network’s Community Choice Food Pantry in Eastpoint and Franklin Square Hospital’s FoodRx program
- New hires—Include a Domestic Violence Specialist in Health and Human Services and a social worker at BCPL-Essex
- Streetscaping and roadway improvements—Along Eastern Boulevard, as well as support for planning and design for a multi-year bridge and sidewalk project
- Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation Youth Development Park—Supporting the nonprofit’s first Baltimore County project at Essex’s Fields at Renaissance Park
- Community input survey (en Español)—Conducted to collect data from residents to better inform the initiative
- May 6 Community Connections Resource Fair—A first-of-its-kind, offering health and community resources, student performances, free arts and crafts activities, and other family-friendly entertainment.
Email Tucker Cavanagh, Essex Initiative Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to get involved with Essex Reimagined.